- 1 Why are Confederates used in psychology?
- 2 What is straight forward manipulation?
- 3 Which type of manipulation is carried out by manipulating variables with instructions and stimulus presentations of choice choices straightforward stimulus physical?
- 4 What is a confederate of the experimenter and why are Confederates used?
- 5 What makes good internal validity?
- 6 What does Confederate mean in psychology?
- 7 What is a reason for using staged manipulation?
- 8 How are codependents manipulative?
- 9 What is a manipulation check in psychology?
- 10 Which type of manipulation is carried out by manipulating variables?
- 11 Do manipulation checks increase internal validity?
- 12 What is a disadvantage of using the strongest manipulation possible in a research?
- 13 What does a Confederate do in an experiment?
- 14 What was a major ethical violation of Milgram’s study?
- 15 Who is acting as a Confederate?
Why are Confederates used in psychology?
Confederates provide an important function in research by providing a real-life depiction of a social situation, serve as an important aid in the research process, and permit the researcher to focus on the behaviors of a particular population without tainting the data.
What is straight forward manipulation?
Straightforward manipulation. A kind of independent variable manipulation by presenting written, verbal, or visual material to the participants. Staged manipulation. When events are staged in an experiment in order to manipulate the independent variable successfully.
Which type of manipulation is carried out by manipulating variables with instructions and stimulus presentations of choice choices straightforward stimulus physical?
Straightforward: manipulate variables with instructions and stimulus presentations. Stimuli may be presented verbally, in written form, etc. No deception. What are the general types of Dependant variable’s?
What is a confederate of the experimenter and why are Confederates used?
In a research experiment confederates are individuals who seem to be participants but in reality are part of the research team. They essentially trick real participants into thinking they are fellow participants. Asch used confederates in an integral way for his research on majority influence.
What makes good internal validity?
Internal validity is the extent to which a study establishes a trustworthy cause-and-effect relationship between a treatment and an outcome. The less chance there is for “confounding” in a study, the higher the internal validity and the more confident we can be in the findings.
What does Confederate mean in psychology?
n. 1. in an experimental situation, an aide of the experimenter who poses as a participant but whose behavior is rehearsed prior to the experiment.
What is a reason for using staged manipulation?
– Staged manipulations are most frequently used for two reasons: 1. The researcher may be trying to create some psychological state in the participants such as anger, frustration, or a temporary lowering of self-esteem. 2. A staged manipulation may be necessary to simulate some situation that occurs in the real world.
How are codependents manipulative?
Being Manipulated – Being fueled by guilt and shame the codependent is controlled by the “have to” mentality. They often think that if they aren’t able to help someone enough they could potentially lose love and acceptance from that person.
What is a manipulation check in psychology?
A manipulation check is a test used to determine the effectiveness of a manipulation in an experimental design. A typical manipulation check consists of one or more questions geared toward understanding each participant’s cognizance regarding the condition to which they were exposed.
Which type of manipulation is carried out by manipulating variables?
An experiment is a type of empirical study that features the manipulation of an independent variable, the measurement of a dependent variable, and control of extraneous variables. An extraneous variable is any variable other than the independent and dependent variables.
Do manipulation checks increase internal validity?
The addition of a manipulation check in the service of testing validity can introduce new problems that threaten validity. By adding additional measures the researcher may change the internal psychological processes.
What is a disadvantage of using the strongest manipulation possible in a research?
What is a disadvantage of using the strongest manipulation possible in a research? It creates a situation different from a real-world situation. Why do experiments conducted in field settings use unobtrusive measures?
What does a Confederate do in an experiment?
Confederates, or research actors, are commonly employed in psychology experiments to secretly participate along with actual subjects. By using confederates, researchers study participants in complex social settings and reliably capture naïve reactions.
What was a major ethical violation of Milgram’s study?
The ethical issues involved with the Milgram experiment are as follows: deception, protection of participants involved, and the right to withdrawal. The experiment was deemed unethical, because the participants were led to believe that they were administering shocks to real people.
Who is acting as a Confederate?
A confederate is an actor who participates in an experiment as a subject along with the participant(s), but is not the one being observed or measure for they are working for the researcher. You just studied 24 terms!